New York: Stringer and Townsend, 1854. First Edition. Cloth. 8vo. Blue cloth with gilt lettering and decoration on spine and cover and embossed decorations.Gilt edges. Several illustrated plates. 304 pp.
Large amount of discoloration on covers. Edges quite scuffed and chipped. Corners crushed. Front hinge overopened. Previous owner's name written several times (perhaps practicing a signature?) on front free endpaper and p. 181. Minor offsetting and significant foxing throughout.
This is a scarce book by the Methodist Ladies of the Mission, a missionary group in New York City who purchased, demolished, and rebuilt the old Coulthard's Brewery building in the Five Points slum in 1853. The Old Brewery was a legendarily lawless slum, also called the "Den of Thieves," housing at one point over 1000 people, most of whom were involved in criminal activity. The Old Brewery was a primary location featured in the Martin Scorsese film Gangs of New York. Fair. Item #1121